romancearoundthecorner

Brie's Corner

Unforgivable

Unforgivable - Joanna Chambers I liked this one a lot. I thought it was a proper old-school historical, but less rapey and perhaps lacking that epic feel those older romances had, which is good because it helps the flow. The plot is similar to [b:Ravishing the Heiress|13051602|Ravishing the Heiress (Fitzhugh Trilogy, #2)|Sherry Thomas|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1326225990s/13051602.jpg|18216417] so recommended to those who enjoyed that one.The hero is probably the most interesting part of the book. He was very immature, selfish and whiny. These are adjectives usually associated with "difficult" or "unlikeable" heroines, so exploring similar characteristics in a hero was very appealing to me as a reader. It made me think about what makes a hero heroic, and how even negative traits like violence and extreme possessiveness often find a way to appear as sexy and positive, whereas the heroine is harder to redeem or to makes us talk ourselves into forgiving her. This guy is almost irredeemable, and there's nothing sexy about the way he behaved, but I thought it was authentic and true to his character. I'm not sure if they belong together or even if they deserve each other, but the book was highly readable, emotional and very entertaining. I also really enjoy Ms. Chambers' voice and I like her take on historical romance and on trite tropes.This is the most negative positive review ever, but I enjoyed the book and gave me food for thought. Ms. Chambers is one of my few auto-buy historical romance authors.